I’m feeling super-happy today. With the kids back at school and a steady stream of jobs coming my way I have every reason to feel good about working as a Virtual Assistant from my home office. Here’s my top 5 reasons why I LOVE what I do:
1. I can be here for my kids. Hands down, that’s number one! Every day I get my 3 little girls on and off the bus. I don’t pay for daycare (have you seen the cost of daycare these days???) I don’t have to miss a day of work when one of them is home with the sniffles (unless I decide to, sometimes couch-surfing with a sick baby seems like the right thing to do) and I don’t feel guilty taking time off work for dentist appointments, school concerts or the entire March Break. I’m also setting a good example for my girls. They actually get to see me working sometimes and they think it’s pretty cool to have a Mom who runs her own business. (Well – I’ll probably only be cool until they are in the 7th grade…then they will never ever think I’m cool again)
2. No commute! I am sooooo over that 40 minute drive back and forth to the city every day. That hour and a half (or 4 hour drive during a snowstorm) is now better spent actually working and making money. Not to mention – I don’t have to pay the ridiculous price of gas.
3. I can scoot out for some fun – pretty much whenever I want. For example: I have a job to do today. I planned to work from 8-4…but a friend called and asked me to have coffee at 10am. NO PROBLEMO! I had a wonderful morning sharing giggles over coffee and will make up the 2 hours tonight when the kiddies are in bed. (OK – after my guilty pleasure of Big Brother is over) But you get the point. I make my own schedule.
4. I make awesome slow cooked dinners. Seriously, that sounds dumb, but when I used to commute every day I never had time to cook anything, well, slow. So we ate a lot of pre-made fast food. I’m also a bit of a health nut so it’s important to me to make REAL food. Easy when you work from home. The walk from my office to my kitchen is about 34 seconds so whenever I want I can pop down to get things simmering, roasting or baking and everything is ready by 6pm.
5. Coin. Moola. Cash. Money. It feels good knowing I can help my family financially by doing something I’m good at and enjoy and still be here for them.
That’s why being a Virtual Assistant is the best job in the Universe. I’m not a rock star – but my job still rocks!