Speaking! Now before you shut me down and run away screaming with horrific memories of public speaking competitions in 7th grade that left your knees knocking and your voice quavering…think about this: No one ever gets clients from putting up a website, sitting back and waiting.
The fastest way to find and attract clients is to make BOLD MOVES. Many people think public speaking is way-too-scary and as such, not many VA’s use it as a marketing technique. But speaking is exactly the kind of BOLD MOVE that can get you noticed and skyrocket your success.
This was absolutely true for me in my business. Early on, I accepted any and every speaking gig I could find: I spoke at Red Deer College’s Virtual Assistant Conference, the International Virtual Assistant Association’s Online Summit…I even spoke for the Alliance for Virtual Businesses in Australia (while it was 10pm here in Canada…and already the next day in Australia…weird!)
Here’s what I discovered:
- Speaking gigs give you instant credibility. When you speak on a particular topic…potential clients assume you are an expert.
- You get to add the word “Speaker” into your bio. It not only looks cool…it impresses prospective clients too 🙂
- You get massive free advertising for your business. The company hosting you as a speaker often promotes you like mad. Meaning tons of visibility for your business and links coming into your website from all kinds of sources.
- Speaking is a fantastic way to build your confidence as a business owner and make you more masterful in the topic you speak about.
- Once you sign up to be a speaker – you can promote, market and blog about that for several weeks giving you plenty of ideas for what to post about
- Speaking is a BIG way to attract new clients that many other Virtual Assistants are afraid to try…give it a go and it can really help you stand out from your competition.
Building your Virtual Assistant Business by publicly speaking can be as simple as volunteering to host a free workshop at your local library or chamber or commerce. Perhaps teaching a group of Seniors how to use Facebook or a group of small business owners how to market online. You might consider hosting a free online webinar on a topic of your choice that would appeal to your ideal client. Here’s the kicker: It doesn’t even matter how many people actually show up to listen to you…you will be still be generating a lot of ‘buzz’ around yourself and your business, building credibility and attracting new followers.
If you want to learn more about how speaking can help you build your business…guess what? I’m offering a FREE Training Class just for Virtual Assistants! I’ve teamed up with world-renowned speaker, Gretchen Breuner who will tell us how to find and book speaking gigs…not just for yourself…but also as a service you can offer clients. Want to know more? CLICK HERE to check it out!