Ever noticed how life has a really funny way of rewarding us for pushing past the things that feel ‘uncomfortable’? For doing the things that scare us silly? For being willing to fail – and fail hard?
- If you’ve ever exercised then you know there comes a point when you start to feel uncomfortable, tired and sore…but if you push through you will get better results and enjoy a healthy, strong body.
- If you try bungee jumping you’ll feel REALLY uncomfortable (scared-out-of-your-pants-uncomfortable)…but if you push through the fear and do it anyway you will enjoy a rush of exhilaration afterwards.
- Remember your first kiss? How awkward and uncomfortable was that little scenario? But if you pushed through your fear and did it anyway you probably saw those fireworks that only the kissed have seen.
In business, it is often the things that make us feel the most uncomfortable, that can give us the biggest results.
- It feels uncomfortable to raise our rates, we fear that clients won’t want us if we charge ‘too much’ or we’re not worthy of commanding a bigger salary. Usually the opposite it true…having slightly higher rates can actually attract more clients and allow us to make a bigger income than ever.
- We feel uncomfortable narrowing our niche market, we’re scared-to-death that there won’t be enough clients for us if we don’t market to ‘everybody’. But results have proven time and time again that focusing on a specific niche can actually work better in securing clientele.
- Most of us feel extreme discomfort ‘bragging’ about ourselves and our achievements. In business, however, you have to learn to ‘show-off’ a little in order to demonstrate your incredible talents and abilities.
- It feels horribly uncomfortable to offer a new service/put out a new product/speak at an event/etc…yet you and I both know that these are the times we have to feel the fear and do it anyway to make our businesses grow and thrive.
I love this quote by T. Harv Eker, author of the book ‘Secrets of the Millionaire Mind’:
“Nobody ever died of discomfort, yet living in the name of comfort has killed more ideas, more opportunities, more actions, and more growth than everything else combined. Comfort kills!”
If you never push through your discomfort, you will never achieve the results you are after. So what are you going to do that scares you today?