I’m often approached by women who want to know if they can make a living working from home as a Virtual Assistant. They usually tell me about their past careers, education and skills. They want to know if their particular concoction of work + life experience will make them a successful Virtual Assistant.
Here’s the truth: I don’t know.
Honestly? Any person from any background with any amount of experience can become a successful Virtual Assistant.
BUT only IF they are willing to work their butt off, learn what they need to learn and do what they need to do. A successful Virtual Assistant knows how to stare fear in the face and bring it down like a warrior princess in the fight of her life.
- When I started my journey into this business in 2011 I didn’t have a Marketing background – but I studied everything I could get my hands on and still do.
- I used to laugh about how ‘un-techie’ I was (I dreaded a power outage because I couldn’t even change the time on my alarm clock) but I took training to learn what I needed to know as I went.
- The first website I built for myself was the result of many coffee-fueled nights, outbursts of real tears and multiple hand slaps to my forehead. Still, I cranked out a crappy little site and did my best to promote it.
- I took my first client at the ridiculously low price of $10 per hour. I also worked my ass off on nights and weekends to make sure he was beyond happy with the work I did.
- Sometimes I ran out of time to cook and fed my kids cold cereal for supper (they lived…in fact they thought it was awesome).
- Once I bought packages of new socks for everyone instead of doing laundry because I just didn’t have time.
- I often wondered if it might be easier to become something like – oh, I dunno – a BRAIN SURGEON than to figure out how to be a successful entrepreneur
At the end of the day…it’s not your previous skills, experience, life or back-story that will determine your success. It’s how hard you’re willing to work to get there. It’s what you’re willing to do starting today and moving forward. It’s not easy. But can you become a successful Virtual Assistant? Absolutely.