I was doing some interesting research on ‘color’ and ‘business branding’ this week. While some of what I read was pretty ‘Wack-a-doo’…some made a lot of sense and I thought it would make a fun topic for Virtual Assistants. Do you think the colors you select for your website and marketing materials make any difference? You bet they do! Stop for a moment and think about the company UPS. Did you just picture brown? (Probably brown Bermuda shorts on the driver, right?) The point is the colors you choose can have a big effect on the way people perceive your company. So what does your color pallet say about you and your business?
- WHITE– You are: Pure, Simple, Classic, Flawless, Clean and Innocent. But be careful – that is mostly the way the ‘Western’ world sees white. In the middle East white is thought to symbolize death or mourning!
- BLACK- You are: Serious, Stong, Authoritative, Powerful, Elegant, Bold, Compelling and Talented. Go easy if you’re using black – Too much can signify darkness, evil, or death.
- RED– You are: Passionate, Dangerous, Exciting, Erotic, Hot. Red grabs attention – but not always in a good way! Red can also create a feeling of anxiety or a sense of urgency in the viewer.
- ORANGE– You are: Vibrant, Playful, Cheerul, Energetic and Flirty. Orange has also been known to increase metabolism and create a feeling of hunger and is often used by the food industry.
- GREEN – You are: Natural, Healthy, Legitimate, Young, Fresh, Wealthy. Actually, only a dark forest green represents wealth. Lighter greens tend to indicate nature.
- PURPLE– You are: Blessed, Aristocratic, Superior, Wise. Purple makes people feel like celebrating.
- BLUE – You are: Loyal, Peaceful, Conservative and Well liked. Blue is often considered the safest color for business. The company IBM is often called “Big Blue” because of their branding.
- YELLOW– You are: Optimistic, Happy, Joyful, Bright and Confident. Caution against using too much bright yellow – it can be hard on the eyes.
- PINK – You are: Youthful and Fun (if it’s hot pink) Romantic and Sensitive (if it’s light pink) Careful – like it or not – pink usually implies that this business is ‘for girls’ only.
- BROWN– You are: Simple, Durable, Stable, Reliable and easy to get along with. Is it any wonder UPS chose Brown?
So what does my website say about me? Apparently turquoise implies that I’m complex, imaginative, original and that I drive myself hard. Things I would mostly agree with! As for Lime Green, it implies that I have a big ego and am often deceitful. Yikes! That is NOT me at all. I will definitely keep that in mind when it’s time for my next ‘re-brand’.
Have fun playing with color in your Virtual Assistance business branding!