Wowzah. Hard to believe I’ve been in business for 6 months already (Dec. 1st is my half-a-versary) So to celebrate I’m launching my shiny new and vastly improved Website! (Insert applause here). I decided to scrap my static site and use the blogging platform ‘WordPress’ to build my site. It’s my new favourite geek girl tool and today I’ll tell you why:
1. Ease of use. Last year I was seriously considering going back to school to study web design. I have a drawer full of info pamphlets to prove it. Then I discovered WordPress which gives anyone and everyone the ability to design and maintain a gorgeous website themselves. The learning curve was only a couple of months and a small investment compared to the 2 years of college and thousands of dollars to become a web designer!
2. Plugins, plugins and more plugins. You can make your site do just about anything you want to with the use of plugins! Better yet – many are free. Who doesn’t love free stuff?
3. The joy of themes. After the basic site is laid out the fun begins. The ‘decorating’ bit . The part where you get to make your site look cool. I chose the ‘Headway’ theme and have nothing but good stuff to say about it. Totally customizable, easy to manipulate your content and fun to play with. In fact, that’s the only drawback. You might get stuck spending too much time ‘designing’ and forget you have real work to do.
4. SEO – Search Engine Optimization. WordPress has it built right in straight out of the box. You can tweak it to make it even better, of course, but it’s impressive to find a ‘free’ platform to build a website on that has SEO already included!
5. It’s FREE. That’s right friends, WordPress is free. Awesome.
So let me know what you think of my site – I would LOVE to hear from you! And, of course, if you need one built – I can do that.
Wishing you health and success,